First seeds sown in the greenhouse.
Along with veg, I have sown many flowers aiming to get as many insect attracting plants into the allotment to aid in pollination, these include Borage, Rudbekia’s, Cosmos, Echinacea among many others.
With a week of good weather this February, I took delivery of my 12×10 greenhouse, what will become the hub for everything I intend to grow.
The raised beds have been levelled out and are ready for planting in the spring. I have added organic fertiliser to beds that will need it, and left it out of beds where I intend to grow such things as carrots as they do not require feeding.
Water barrels have been installed at either side of the greenhouse to take rainfall from the greenhouse roof, very effective they are too.
Automatic vents are in place in the greenhouse to open and close the windows in warmer weather.
New Years Day sees the very first plants being planted in our allotment. Bare root gooseberries, early, main crop and late raspberries , Buddleia, and a number of Clematis plants on the back fence to bring lots of pollinators into the allotment.
All planted with microrhizal fungi in order to develop really good root systems. Along with good old horse manure.
After 4 years on a waiting list for an allotment, August 2012 saw the start of the clearance of what only can be described as a rubbish tip to make way for installing raised beds and a large greenhouse.
The pictures are from September/October 2012. When we first took over this allotment, you simply could not even see the ground it was that thick with weeds. It was so thick, it was impossible to get a spade into the ground. I ended up spraying and leaving for 2 weeks. I wish I had started my allotment picture diary back then to get a then and now comparison. Needless to say, it has taken a massive amount of work, time and money.
We managed to fill a one tonne skip. Finding at least three different wooden structures and countless panes and bucketful’s of smashed glass. Trips to the local tip were endless.
I dug a two foot deep trench all the way round the allotment and part of the wire fence is buried to this depth in order to make the allotment rabbit proof.
I also dug a French drain, filled with rocks and stones at the front of the allotment in order to alleviate any flooding issues that may occour.
Writer, fisherman, amateur naturalist and sometime Idler...